Art is too valuable not to share.
505 works and counting.
Our permanent collection holds over 505 works from Australian artists. In 2018 a signficant survey of the collection was undertaken which informed the build of a new, purpose built collection store.
The nucleus of our collection was the Moffitt Bequest in the mid 1950s. A prominent local doctor, Dr. Charles Gordon Moffitt was Medical Superintendent at Kenmore Hospital in Goulburn from 1921 – 1937. He worked with artist Roy de Maistre to devise a treatment for patients using colour therapy. de Maistre had devised his own colour theory based on the scales of music and is considered to be one of Australia’s first modernist painters. We hold two of de Maistre's works, gifted as part of the Moffitt bequest.
Since the Gallery's inception in 1982, the permanent collection has been grown through hundreds of donations and the ongoing acquisition of works through purchase. More often than not, works accessioned into the collection had a strong connection to its exhibition history. Other acquisitions have been gifted from many generous donors who have entrusted us as the new custodians of their works.
The collection is thus a diverse and rich blueprint of contemporary artistic practices. It spans textiles, video, ceramics, painting, works on paper and other mediums. We actively collect work across all art forms and are dedicated to growing our collection ongoing.
In late 2019 the Gallery launched The WIndow, a dedicated micro space to present works from our collection ongoing. We wanted you to be able to peep in to our holdings 24/7 and for the collection to become accessible for the first time in our history.
We thank all of the incredible artists and collectors who have gifted work to our permanent collection.